July 7, 2013

We Have Liftoff

Well, the mama left yesterday. The kids handled it well. It was most sad for Robin and I, knowing she will be without her babies. 

Jada worked it for all she could. After Zeek and Kaila came to me to tattle that Jada was driving them crazy, I talked to her to see how she was really doing. I concluded quickly that she was milking it and told her to come to me if she needed to talk or get some loving. She put her red hands up, laughed, and went back to playing. About 20 minutes later I snuck her away to take her and her stuffed giraffe underwing for some snuggling to check on her heartbeat - She's the most tender of them in the absence of their mom. 


Leo, on the other hand, is doing what most kids do when their parents aren't there... being a complete ANGEL!!! Of course. 

I was thinking the crying and neediness would only get worse for a time. I was sure it would be tough on him that he doesn't really know us very well compared to his Auntie Jenny, who usually watches him at home. Did I mention that he hasn't been fully weaned of nursing yet?


To our surprise and delight though, he hasn't cried once. Not even when he woke up from his nap. He hasn't searched, been frantic, or worried. He's hasn't grunted commands or tried to fly off of anything. He's cuddled right down into our lifestyle and been smilie, sweet, giggly, and wonderful. Whew!
Hopefully, this keeps up.  



Jada and I went for a walk in the afternoon. We took Leo in his stroller and Yuki on her leash. It was nice. We got to talk, pick flowers, see horses and soak up some good vitamin D. 

When we returned, I put a few of our wild daisies in the kitchen window, and a couple in the girls' room. 



Speaking of their room, after much debate the girls decided to stay in the same room rather than each having their own. I'm glad for this, because now they won't be alone at night.



After dinner, I let the kids go play while I cleaned up the house with Leo. Then, I called the kids in to do a stick-people art project at the dinning room table while I gave Leo a sink bath and put his clean reusable diapers together. 



It was a great way to wind things down for the evening.
Except that afterward I let the big kids go back outside to play some more. :) 



I brought Leo out of his bath and into my room where I had a little instrumental sleepy baby music playing (one of many Spotify playlists I prepared for the kids' stay). I put his baby lotion on with a little baby massage. Then I put his monkey pajamas on him. I picked him up and he cuddled in. 

I held him and gave him a little of his milk bottle so he would have something in his tummy for the night. He only drank about 3 oz. and then I laid him in his pack-and-play sound to sleep. He slept, unstirred, until about 5am. I was already awake and out of the room when I heard him talking. I gave him a bottle, changed him and he was back to sleep by 6am. He is currently laying at my side on the living room couch, dreaming. 

I forget all the fantasticness of having a little one like this. I miss it. 


The kids will surely sleep in again. They were up later than I'd planned, because I got caught up chatting on the phone with their mom... as if we didn't just spend four days together. :) 


Today is Greg's last day of the long holiday weekend and I hope to make the most of our time with him. I'm pretty sure I will usually have this morning free time with this houseful of great sleepers. Therefore a little daily posting shouldn't be a problem at all.  

Happy Sunday! :)

2 comments:

  1. You were up at 5:00 am? Seriously, Lora?

    I would be sleeping in with the kids, at least until 7:00.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those people who gets up really early. I love it: alone time with Jesus - all my e-mail, blog posting, and fb fun out of the way before anyone needs me - it's good quiet down time for me. And I love to see the morning come on. :)

    ReplyDelete