July 10, 2013

Reading Reading Reading

It's interesting how many things I'm seeing differently now that we have four kids in the house. It's a small thing to see one kid do or not do something. It's much more impactful to watch the effect things have on a small group. 

For instance, it's been easy to let Zeek "check his farm" on his iPad for 10 minutes (or an hour) first thing in the mornings. But it made a whole different impact on me to see three kids with their faces in their electronics 10 seconds into the day - to watch them walk away from their games having their direction impaired, imaginations shut down, and even connections with each other difficult to attain for awhile. Like a bunch of tiny drunks. :) 

This led to a new rule in the house: 
NO MORNING MEDIA - which surprisingly led to them having no interest in media once they get going.   

I think they've replaced this down time activity with reading. Zeek has loved reading for about a year now, and I know from Robin that Kaila likes to read a lot, too. Now Jada is joining right in! 

I love to walk in and find them all together in one room enthralled in their books smack the middle of the day.


Yesterday, we met friends at the park for lunch. It rained on us, but we stayed anyway. The kids played in the park through the rain. It was so cute and fun. Until it was over, and we were all soaked, and the temperature started to drop. 

We took the party to Miss Linsey's house. The kids played board games. Then they wanted to read! So they raided the bags of books I had just picked up at the library for my kids, and they sprawled out in the living room and got to it. It was awesome! 


I wish I would have  signed my girls up for the summer reading program when I got Zeek in. They would have crushed it. 

At night, I tuck the girls in and Greg tucks Zeek in. The guys read and talk and pray. The girls and I evaluate our day a little, talk about the good and bad, discuss the plans for the next day, do a circle prayer (one of my favorite parts of the day), and then I tell them how long they can read for. They always beg for a little longer and celebrate when I agree. This is funny since they pass out 15 minutes into their books, either way. :)

Today, we are going to stay home and veg. The kids are looking forward to hanging out at the house so they can get back to their own little projects and plans they have going all around the house as well as outdoors. 

I'm glad we're staying home too. It feels like Thursday to Greg and I. 

We joke that when the kids leave it will feel like stepping off a tread mill. We will have SO much time on our hands.

Until then, I'm soaking it up! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I love the way the one boy lies on the chair with the head down to read! Jonathan used to do that, too. Cute!

    ReplyDelete