July 12, 2013

"just make you're own baked goods" ???

Yesterday was another home day. We tried to leave to go strawberry picking, but someone (no one knows who) turned both of the lights on in the back of the Pilot and drained the battery to zero... so we decided to save strawberry picking for another time. We could have taken the Jeep, but moving the car seats back and forth for a four mile round trip seemed a little extensive... 
Yes, I'm learning to cut things out, say no, change course, and get over my usual fervor for cleanliness, order and followthrough. Heck, I've been cutting out and saying no to the laundry for days! :) 

I made a gluten free angel food cake, and just as I was about to dive into making one with wheat for everyone else, I recognized that our life would be a lot easier and more fun if I got out of the kitchen- so I decided to just buy one at the store. 

Not sure I would be happy to have to make those substitutions forever... but what's six weeks of high fructose, GMOs, ethoxylated monoglycerides, diglicerides, sodium stearoyl lactylate and 1000 more synthetic and chemically processed ingredients pouring into our babies' bodies??? :(

Okay, so the transition might hurt a little. But I'm making headway. And I'm seeing first hand why my favorite mamas of three and four kids laugh and scorn me with envy over my clean house and frivolous suggestions that they just make their own baked goods. I could slap myself just typing it now. 

I give! I give! I'm not sure how all our children are accounted for much less alive - and if you're making your own bread you either have a plural marriage or you're not watching your kids grow up. I got it. :)

So, today this Mom is going to engage in some more personal chill therapy... thankfully, my sweet husband made the time to put the Pilot back on it's feet last night so we can use it to hit a park with a picnic and then get to that strawberry patch on the way home. I'd love to make some cookies, and maybe squeeze in another load of laundry. We'll see how high my super mom stats can register on the richter today. 

I'm off - like a dirty shirt! God knows there are a few of those piling up around here.



1 comment: